<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Why Wednesdays can be dangerous in our house. 

There are limits to the benefits of stocking an eclectic cupboard. Due to a bit of a bonehead shopping moment a couple of weeks ago, we found ourselves with a few fresh garden tomatoes but sadly lacking for any olive oil. Dinner time had drawn nigh and I had promised something of a fresh tomato salad.

I began to panic.

Well, this may have been the gin talking, but I bucked up and said to myself, "Aha! A chance to improvise! In fact," I continued, "here is where I will get in touch with my inner gourmet, my inner Amanda Hesser, aswarm with ideas that fly about my head like so many gaily colored Symbrenthia lilaea! I shall concoct a new taste sensation that will curl up on my tastebuds with the warmth of a pair of woolen slippers," I thought, evidently continuing to run somewhat amok with the prose style of my inner Amanda Hesser, "Like a pair of woolen slippers that pad away to leave behind the lingering hint of autumn's favorite Navajo blanket!"

So I rummaged around and came up with this.

Chinese-y Caprese

2 large ripe garden tomatoes
sesame oil
soy sauce
1-2 Tbs. toasted sesame seeds
Fresh-ground black pepper

(1) Slice the tomatoes and arrange them on a serving plate.
(2) Sprinkle the tomatoes with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce. Top with sesame seeds and pepper.
(3) Try one bite and then spend the rest of the meal pushing them around your plate while your spouse or partner gamely expresses admiration for a good effort.

Theoretically serves an infinite number, since nobody is going to want to touch the stuff.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?