<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, March 24, 2004

Yet Another Newbie

Well, since Grace and G. have introduced themselves, I guess I'd better as well, and give a hearty thanks to those who decided I would be a good addition to this blog. I'm w1ldc47 and I'm so excited to be posting here!

My first post is a very simple recipe which I haven't made in ages, so all things, especially oven temperature, will be approximate. I thought it would be appropriate though, in picking up the recently dropped mushroom theme. It doesn't have a name. I call it Toi, Moi, et Fumé mushrooms on toast, because the restaurant Toi, Moi, et Café (known to the non-smokers here as Toi, Moi, et Fumé) is where I first had it.

Ingredients:

rye bread, sliced
large quantities of button mushrooms
butter
dried basil
brie, sliced lengthwise along the wedge

Okay, you start with toast. No using pre-sliced kleenex-bread here, go buy yourself a good loaf of rye, something with some weight to it. Slice it reasonably thin, certainly no thicker than a centimetre, less if you can, and put the slices in the toaster. Toast.

Preheat the oven. I'm not sure of the temperature, but you want it to be in the broiler, which in an electric oven means just the top shelf (I will never, ever, get used to this property of electric ovens).

While the bread is toasting, slice a whole whack of button mushrooms, thin but not paper-thin. How much mushrooms you use depends on how much toast you're using, obviously, but remember that these babies reduce like nobody's business, so start out with several times the volume you want to end up with. There's really no such thing as too much. Sauté the mushrooms in butter (margarine will do, oil will not) with a generous sprinkle of dry basil and no other herbs or spices. Simplicity is good in this recipe. Once the mushrooms are brown and limp and juicy pile them on the toast. It's okay if the toast has gotten cold at this point, you're going to be warming it up again. Lay two long slices of brie over each mushroom pile, in an x-shape. Put the pieces of toast, now with mushrooms and brie on top, on an ungreased cookie sheet, and put it in the oven until the brie is all melty and gooey, shouldn't be more than about 5 minutes. Maybe less. Keep an eye on it until you're used to it. Serve immediately.

This recipe is at once one of the easiest, and one of the yummiest, things I've ever made. Enjoy.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?