<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, January 29, 2004

I Stabbed a Squash in Reno Just to Watch It Die

As I was making dinner I found myself stabbing an uncooked spaghetti squash Manson Girl-style, over and over again. I was aiming for the fifty-cent piece-sized label on its fat yellow side, full bore concentration toward my target. I caught myself thinking, "...hmmm...I'd always thought stabbing someone was the easy way to kill them but now I see that a certain amount of accuracy is involved here. It's not like a fist where if you're looking at your target you'll hit it, because I'm doing that and I'm off by a couple of inches. Now assuming this label was someone's heart, what's the margin for error here with using a thin kitchen knife as a weapon..." Then I snapped out of it and thought, "What the hell am I doing?" and put the savaged squash into a 375 degree oven for about an hour.

Later, I returned to the scene of the crime to give the mushrooms what was coming to them, a whole pound of mushrooms and nobody escaped, they all got sliced to 1/3 inch slivers. Vegetables and fungi, feel my wrath!

I melted 2 tablespoons of butter in my cast iron skillet and threw the mushroom remains in there with some salt and pepper. When they got kind of browny I drowned them in 1/2 cup of wine, and let the mushrooms boil away for 5 minutes before adding 1/4 cup cream, 1/4 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons of parsley, 1 mashed up garlic clove and the rest of the tarragon, (about 1 teaspoon).

I then split open the spaghetti squash, deseeded it and poured its guts out over two plates with more butter, salt, and pepper and topped it with the mushroom sauce.

It made a good lookin' corpse, let me tell you.

Did I mention that I named this blog?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?