<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 24, 2005

Ice Cream! 

It has been a long, long time since I have posted anything here. But I made something so good this weekend that I have to share it.

My Mom's Chocolate Mint Ice Cream:

Step 1: If you do not already have one, buy an ice cream maker. I bought one on a whim on a clearance rack at Target last weekend. It's this one, and it was like $13:



It is either 4 quart or 5 quart, which is handily the same as size as the old one my mom has, so that's how much this recipe is for. It's quite a lot. You may want to half it. Or not.

Step 2: In a large mixer bowl (I used my Kitchenaid, but you can do it with a wisk or a hand mixer), beat four eggs until they are foamy.

Step 3: Add 2.5 cups of white sugar and beat until thick.

Step 4: Add 4 cups of heavy cream, 2 tablespoons of vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Beat until combined.

Step 5: Pour the mixture into the canister of your ice cream maker.

Step 6: Pour milk into the canister to the fill line (for my size, about 5 cups).

Step 7: Put the paddle in the canister, put the lid on, and put it in the bucket (or however the instructions on your's say to do it).

Step 8: Plug that sucker in and get it spinning.

Step 9: Pour alternating layers of crushed ice and rock salt in the bucket around the canister (again, see the directions for your specific machine).

Step 10: While it's spinning away, chop up a large-sized Ghiradelli chocolate bar into the little bits, then crush a bag of Starlite mints.

Step 11: When the ice cream maker stops spinning (about 30 minutes for mine), take out the canister and open it up. If you used this recipe and have my-size machine, it will be very full. Remove the paddle and scrape the ice cream on it into the container with a spatula. If you have more ice cream than container, put some of it in a Tupperware or something. Stir the mints and chocolate in.

Step 12: Put it in the freezer and let it set for several hours.

Step 13: Eat it until you are sick.

Note: This recipe worked well for me, but I found the vanilla to be pretty strong. I think it would be great for vanilla ice cream, but with the chocolate and mint, it was a bit much. Next time I make non-vanilla ice cream, I think I'll cut it down to 1 tablespoon. YMMV.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?