<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, April 11, 2004

Mark tried his hand at the Best. Gingersnaps. Ever. today, and even though he's not a baker, they turned out really really good. I've eaten at least half a dozen in the past few hours. Since I think it's the recipe and not my special touch that makes them so great, y'all should try them:

TBGE (The. Best. Gingersnaps. Ever.)

Ingredients:
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
2 tsps baking soda
2 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shortening (or 1/2 c shortening and 1/4 c butter, which is what Mark used today, 'cuz we ran out of shortening)
1 egg
1/4 (or a little more) cup mild molasses
1/3 cup cinnamon sugar (I mix this one-to-one, but I really love cinnamon)

1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Mix and sift the first five ingredients. Sift a second time and place the mixture back in the sifter. I think this double-sifting is important, because these have a really great tender crumb.
3. Beat the shortening until creamy. Add the 1 cup sugar gradually and continue beating. Beat in egg and molasses.
4. Sift the flour mixture in about 1/3 at a time, stirring after each. I switched to a wooden spoon here, because I am sad and do not have a real mixer.
5. Roll the dough into tiny balls, roll the balls in cinnamon sugar, put on a parchment covered cookie sheet. I think the tinyness is important here. I did mine small enough to get 5 dozen from this recipe. For some reason they are better smaller.
6. Cook for about 7 mins (depending on how small you made them). Tops are rounded and slightly cracked when when they're done. Cool on a wire rack.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?