<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Ooo goody!

My biweekly box of produce arrives today. Alas, I do not get to cook dinner, as it is also the evening of swim class.

Over the weekend, we hosted a party, which was an excellent excuse to cook. Primarily things from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone-- the spinach torta with potato crust was a big hit, and I really, really really liked the jam bars. I think I was actually in some sort of "bake it in a 9 by 13 pan and then cut it into squares" rut, as I also made a zucchini fritatta (using both the basil and pine nut variations), and I baked it.

The other cookbook that I used was The Zuni Cafe Cookbook, which was a recent gift from several partygoers. (I may need remedial Blogger linking lessons). The cookbook is the first one I have gotten in ages that is both not vegetarian and not health-conscious. So there are lots of recipes with ingredients like air dried beef, or suggestions to use duck fat in lieu of, say, olive oil or butter. That was pretty weird. There were no vegetarian appetizers. But I did make pickled onions and a yummy hazelnut and citrus salad. But mostly I was disappointed to see so much meat, and to see meat that I didn't know how to cook around/substitute for.

I *think* all of my co-bloggers are vegetarians or mostly so. I think maybe its been so long since I ate certain meats that I have no idea of what kind of taste influence it is supposed to have. And when you're talking about things like prosciutto, well, I don't know that I've ever eaten it, so other than saltiness, I have no idea of what it imparts to a dish. Anyone have any brilliant ideas?

limpet

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?